Saturday, June 8, 2019

Felt Needle Keeper


I finished a few hand sewn felt flowers today and applied them to my first needle keeper. I've been sewing since I was in grade school but made my own needle keeper til now. I used my new Eileen Hull Notebook Die with vintage felt for the cover, two off-white pieces of felt were die-cut for  liner and page. My handmade felt flowers and leaves were sewn to the cover with needle and thread. Next, I stitched the glass beads in center of the flowers, sewed rosettes, adding sequins, sewed in seam binding for the tie and then to finish the cover, I've hand sewn the edges using a blanket stitch. Inside, I used pinking shears around inner piece of felt and then added additional pieces of felt to house the threader and needles.

(I've improved from this first piece, now I use two die cut pieces of felt to house my threader and needles, and use smaller leaves.)
Finished book; 3 7/8" x 5"

Inside:
The needle keeper above was made with vintage wool felt.

I shipped this first needle keeper book to my oldest sister,
others needle keepers were made with 1 mm felt.
I gave a needle keeper book to my mother and my youngest sister.
 I gave one to our daughter, our son and daughter in law and two of our grandchildren. I plan on giving a few more to other grandchildren when they visit us. I've kept one for myself.


Update 6-17-2019: This needle keeper book is like the one I made for my daughter and youngest sister.

Threader and needles

I wouldn't be able to make anything without my LED light and magnify to do close-up work. It really helps.

Thanks for Looking and Have a Nice Day! 

1 comment:

Verna Angerhofer said...

Great way to store the needles and your book is gorgeous. You are so talented.