Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Taking Care of my Mother

September 21, 2020 I got a phone call from my sister saying my mother was at the ER. At that time they were only letting two people to see her. My younger sister and I had the two purple bands on our wrist. Ten days later they told her she could go home. Within a few hours we were back at the hospital because of her throwing up. The first week in October mom was operated on, she was full of adhesions and was diagnosed with Ileus. I would go up around 7 to 8 am at hospital and go home around 6:30 to 7 pm. Sometimes it was 8 or 9 pm when nurses needed my help. A few days before she was operated on, they put a Picc Line in her arm with three ports, and then started feeding her with nutrition. Each night they would hook-up a new bag. Gail my sister got an ok to spend the night with mother. Around the 17th of October my two brothers came in, one lives in Wyoming and one loves in Arkansas. They got an Ok to stay with mother too. They took over part of my day and Gail's night shift. After her 95th birthday they went back home. My mother was released from the hospital October 21. She had been in the hospital 31 days. When she came home I was there to cook and be with her full time, even to start her Picc line. The bags came and took up a big portion of her refrigerator. When home health nurse came to check on her she said take her to hospital as she might have a blood clot from her Picc line. Loyd and I rushed her to ER, she did have a blood clot and started mother on Eliquis. Mother was so happy to rid of her Pics line they wanted to keep her but she insisted to come home because she was afraid she might get Covid.
Sunday, November 15, 2020 started out like a regular day, after breaskfast she said she wanted pumpkin pie, I got out supplies and mother and I started making the pie, she told me I've got to sit down I don't feel well, she went back to her rocker and when I got the pie in the oven I came back in living room, she said I have bad headache, I gave her tylenol, just a little bit later she was talking but not making sense. I called for an ambulance and within a little bit she had 6 or more guys and a nurse in her living room. She is back in the hospital and this time I can't be with her. Closed campus due to Covid 19. With mother in the hospital we decided to go home. 
I had been away from my home 56 days and came home on Monday, November 16, 2020. 
While I was taking care of my mother in the hospital my painful headaches came back. They stop me from doing anything til they pass, I have Trigeminal Neuralgia.
The ride home gave me back and leg pain. 
 
( For mothers 95 birthday they let my two brothers, my husband, two grandsons, my sister and me have a small birthday party on the 3rd floor waiting room. It was a short birthday party.)

Due to Covid mother has requested for us to stay home. 

3 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

I am so sorry your Mom has been through so much. And it has been a strain on you too. I pray things will be better for her soon.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Man oh man how you have had a rough time of it. I'm so sorry. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers. Thank you so much for taking the time (so precious) to stop by my blog. Take care.

Rushd Lady said...

Oh boy, didn't know you had been through all this. So sorry to hear. I hope everyone is doing okay now. DJ